Where : Karlskirche, Vienna
Karlskirche is a really beautiful Baroque style church located on the south side of Karlsplatz. It's really easy to get there by metro.
The construction dates from the 17’s century. There's a small pond / fountain in the front which creates a mirror effect of the church (see main picture). This is a picturesque location. Moreover, on a sunny day it's breathtaking which makes for perfect pictures.
We're not sure if the renovations are complete. During the spring of 2017, Karlskirche was undergoing renovations inside. This might be reflected in some of our pictures. We were however, able to access all parts of the church for picture taking.
Not free, unfortunately
It's not free to visit, yet we found it was worth the investment! There is a small fee of $8 euros per adult. We always ask that you check online for accurate pricing and hours of operation, as this can change over time.
Do we recommend ?
Yes! It's a beautiful historical church inside and out. We believe it was worth to pay to see all the Sacred Art inside. There are lots of amazing details, plus the “Panoramic” view at the top. We recall taking an elevator plus stairs to reach the top. Of all places, an elevator inside a church !?
We use the term 'panoramic' as it was described to us this way. However, when we arrived at the top the circular, gated and dirty windows didn't allow for much of a panoramic view. This explains our rating of 4 out of 5, but overall it was a nice discovery !
Serge: 4 Eli: 4
More time to Discover Vienna ? Consider these other attractions !
* St Stephen's Cathedral for the architecture enthusiasts.
* Karlskirche is a great discovery inside and out.
* The Belvedere Palace for the gardens and inside if time permits
* The famous and classic Schönbrunn Palace !
Other cool places !
* Start with a FreeWalking tour - Good Vienna Tours.
* Nice any day of the week is the Naschmarkt (street market)
* If you like cool and different, check out - Hundertwasserhaus !
* Try going through Heldenplatz when visiting the MuseumQuartier.
Also, keep an eye on our growing picture library
* Discovering Vienna - Flickr