Where : Schönbrunn Palace, Vienna
Discovering Schönbrunn Palace
We visited Schönbrunn Palace on a raining day, so we didn’t get to explore the gardens as we did in Versailles and at the Belvedere.
How to get there ?
We took the metro, which stops at a walking distance from the palace. As you exit the metro station, you can already see the beautiful and impressive Baroque style building.
How much ?
We paid around $ 21 Canadian dollars to visit, including an Audio Guide. We don't usually opt for the multimedia / audio package, but since we weren't able to take pictures inside we decided to focus more on the history. Now that we've done it, we really recommend it as it's necessary to understand the history behind each one of the rooms.
We did an online search and discovered the palace has 1,411 rooms. We don't recall visiting that many rooms !? Well, we don't think they are all open to the public but the ones we visited were just gorgeous. Schönbrunn Palace is decorated with amazing and impeccable décor, to which it transports you in the past and makes you feel like you are part of the scene!
Do we recommend ?
Yes we do ! It's really interesting and well organized. Eli from Discovering Destinations states, 'it was one of the most beautiful palaces I saw in Europe'. Sadly, they don't allow to take pictures inside and you might need to leave your backpacks/belongings near the entrance. They also have the traditional coffee shop and souvenir stores around.
Serge: 4+ Eli: 5
More time to Discover Vienna ? Consider these other attractions !
* St Stephen's Cathedral for the architecture enthusiasts.
* Karlskirche is a great discovery inside and out.
* The Belvedere Palace for the gardens and inside if time permits
* The famous and classic Schönbrunn Palace !
Other cool places !
* Start with a FreeWalking tour - Good Vienna Tours.
* Nice any day of the week is the Naschmarkt (street market)
* If you like cool and different, check out - Hundertwasserhaus !
* Try going through Heldenplatz when visiting the MuseumQuartier.
Also, keep an eye on our growing picture library
* Discovering Vienna - Flickr